Skip to main content

Film Festival History

A very long time ago when I lived in Kansas City, I attended a workshop on how to write a screenplay. At the time I was already editing my own fanzine that I later sold for an outrageous profit. I was also writing regularly for a handful of local magazines including New Age and Health topics, like the kind you find in massage studios. I did quite well and kept in touch with the instructor, who was a Hollywood Reader - the people that pre-screen submissions to studios.

I wrote a screenplay and shopped it around some, getting a call from a VP at Viacom at my job in landscaping. I was completely and totally unprepared for that call and botched it terribly. I kept that bug in the back of my mind for a few years, and later when a company moved me to Utah for a tech job, I ended up hanging on the periphery of the Indie Film crowd.

I went to a very professional Short Film Fest in Nevada, and decided I would make one for a Utah fest. The topic of the short was supposed to be something about "memories" so I created a short about my deceased father's funeral. Imagine my surprise when I arrived at the fest to discover it was primarily a gang of hooligans barely out of their teens, and that the majority of the videos seemed to be about drunk college kids blowing milk out their noses while setting Christmas trees on fire.

I was humiliated when only two people clapped for my film. I was related to both of them. But I did manage to do some jobs writing, directing, and editing commercials for a local franchise, as well as for clients for a marketing company. Just for fun though, I did do a tongue-in-cheek look at the silliness that seemed to prevail at Utah-other-than-Sundance fests.



Take-aways from the above experiences:

1) don't send a letter to a Hollywood VP if you haven't explored at least ten possible flows of discussion it could lead to. as well, be ready to get a ticket to fly to visit the next day.

2) don't send in a submission to a film fest you've never attended in person (this also applies to any type of event)

3) even after all that, if you can at least get in a good networking opportunity hanging on the periphery of a group, you can cash in on it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The 10 Biggest #Workout Mistakes

The 10 Biggest Workout Mistakes: Are one of these mistakes slowing your progress? by Dr. Len Lopez My rating: 3 of 5 stars So/So. Average. 3. yep. If you took a handful of bullet points, wrapped them in repetitive catch-phrases, and added in some links to your other projects, you'd have this book. Would it be at all helpful to anyone? Yes, if you are needing to do actual aerobic exercise and need to be smacked in the face with it over and over and over until it works finally - this might be the book that does that. If you're trying to get in shape or achieve some specific level of fitness, then no. View all my reviews

Eternal Redemption - Review [#horror #fantasy]

Eternal Redemption by Paul A. Wunderlich My rating: 2 of 5 stars Rating this: under the little star at position 2nd from the left, there is a little balloon that pops up "It was OK" That's about it. In general, the tone and language seem like a fervent attempt to imitate high fantasy. There are a series of editing errors that cause some confusion. It's tough to write a protagonist who drifts in and out of their own head. Time slips around in circles. An entire world of minions is disposable. When you're sitting at the top of an Everest sized pile of skulls, what's the next big challenge? Oh, yeah, trick the master trickster. Well, you get exactly what you ask for. With a little syrup on the side. View all my reviews

Review: How to Outline a Nonfiction Book: [#writing]

How to Outline a Nonfiction Book: How to Write an Outline That Will Make Writing Your Nonfiction Book a Breeze by Dean R. Giles My rating: 3 of 5 stars If you've never written a book of any sort. If you've never written a non-fiction book. If you're totally clueless. If you need to copy/paste your way to completing a non-fiction book. There might be something here for you. I have a dozen non-fiction books already published. I have had a couple on best-seller lists. That being said just to explain my possibly unique position, not to brag, I got not much out of this. You on the other hand might find the perfect tool to use to achieve your perfect non-fiction book. It's totally worth an hour to check it out and discover for yourself. View all my reviews