Skip to main content

First 2-star Review for Elbrus

Descent read but strange delivery. Author/climber seemed way out of their element would have liked to hear more of the cultural experiences as well.


At the wool market in Cheget while acclimatizing for Elbrus
I read this over and over trying to figure it out. At first I was really confused, and mildly miffed. My book Elbrus, My Waterloo [HERE] has been one of my best selling books on Amazon. It's gotten quite a few 5-star reviews and one 4-star review. But 2-stars?

I'll address a few of these thoughts here.

1) Descent - I'm pretty sure the reviewer meant "Decent" and decent is good enough for me. If everyone that reads it believes it to be decent, then I did my job well enough.

2) strange delivery - I think this refers to the fact that it's my journal notes expanded slightly. I make no secret of this in any of my marketing text. I kept a journal. I fleshed it out and made it into a book that could be read by someone who is not me, and doesn't understand my journaling shorthand.

3) out of their element - no idea what this means. Like, I don't have any experience traveling to the Baksan region (speaking of which, this was my third trip here)? I don't have any experience traveling around the world (I am currently only missing Antarctica in my Seven Continents journey)? I don't have any experience climbing mountains (I've climbed quite a few, most of them solo)? So I really have no idea what this even means.

4) hear more - again, it's my journal. While I do describe nearly every person and location in the book in enough detail that many of the 5-star reviewers felt like they were there in my shoes, it's actually not really full of prose and poetry about the glorious days of life on the Caucasus. One, that wouldn't have been possible in the time available each night to journal, and two, it would have made this a several hundred page book and about $6 more.

There are a mere handful of people who write most everyone else's climbing books, and of course, I'm not one of them. So my books will totally not sound like them. I just tell it like it really is, what I'm really feeling, and what I'm really doing. I won't be hiding my failures and weaknesses under the poetic description of a local selling wool from a cart.

Anyway, if you've read my book, leave a review and make your mark. I welcome it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle

Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle: How To Be Healthy, Lose Weight, Burn Fat, Get Lean and Build Muscle Without Life Sucking by R.J Strife My rating: 4 of 5 stars If you're totally new, or just curious about Intermittent Fasting, this is a good 30,000' view. If you're vaguely familiar with IF, this shows a couple of optional protocols to follow. If you want in-depth info, this isn't the book, though author does touch on some concepts on long-term use. If you take some of these ideas and do some of your own research, you will quickly be able to make your own decisions. A handful of relatively minor editing errors. View all my reviews

Review: The 10 Biggest #Workout Mistakes

The 10 Biggest Workout Mistakes: Are one of these mistakes slowing your progress? by Dr. Len Lopez My rating: 3 of 5 stars So/So. Average. 3. yep. If you took a handful of bullet points, wrapped them in repetitive catch-phrases, and added in some links to your other projects, you'd have this book. Would it be at all helpful to anyone? Yes, if you are needing to do actual aerobic exercise and need to be smacked in the face with it over and over and over until it works finally - this might be the book that does that. If you're trying to get in shape or achieve some specific level of fitness, then no. View all my reviews

Taste [book review - #vampire #dystopian #postapocalyptic]

Taste by D.S. Murphy My rating: 4 of 5 stars The story was fascinating. Dragged me right in. Vamps, hints of what might be shifters, rebels, villages essentially selling their 17 year old girls into a type of slavery, never to be seen again just to ensure they have enough food and access to their magic elixir of life. Sadly, it's a beta, a teaser, a potential promise of what might be in the first book in a series. It's quite short. I expected as much. I usually check the number of pages in the Amazon listing, and try to keep some shorts around to fill in between other books. As far as cliffhangers go - it ends with a bang. You're waiting for the very next sentence, and it's not there. Again, I went in with my eyes wide open. I loved it just the same. Why 4? It has a lot of little editing errors that are tough to overlook. Hopefully they'll be ironed out when the real book is released. View all my reviews