Skip to main content

Review: Devil in the Countryside [historical fiction]

Devil in the CountrysideDevil in the Countryside by Cory Barclay
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Rare for me to give a 5. I also don't normally like Historical Fiction quite so much. This was a very engaging book. Difficult to set down for very long. But alas, I do have a job ...

This chunk of history is a sad period in our European heritage, and it seems fairly presented not to take sides. There are no real obvious exclusively good or bad characters or groups. It is a war, after all, and the victor, should there be one, will rewrite history to suit their marketing position. (in this case while battles were won and lost, ultimately it resulted in an uneasy truce as it played out over the centuries)

The wrap-up could have been skipped. Writing excellently edited. There is a very interesting tidbit of activity in the wrap-up that subtly hints at a different interpretation of events in the book. Very interesting indeed.

The author clearly states there is a probable sequel, and I might have to keep my eyes open for it. I am intrigued by that tidbit.

The werewolf? Certainly you don't believe in actual werewolves in 16th century Europe, do you?

View all my reviews

Popular posts from this blog

Mountaineering Fitness Training Program

Like Hiking with a Backpack Full of Helium! [originally posted 05-29-2014] Update: New Program Now Live Annual Membership http://hikercize.com If you've been following my mountaineering fitness blogs, I've already given you hundreds of tips. I've produced training videos. I've shared my own training, my own adventures, even some of my secrets to my own success. I've shared articles from other trainers and authorities that I respect greatly. If you haven't been following my articles, here are the two links to those: Seven Summits Body on BloggerSeven Summits Body Website Last Chance For Paperback! Clearance On First Edition Paperbacks Limited Stock On Hand.
New Webcasts: Stair Climbing for Mountaineering Fitness [CLICK HERE]Shoes, Boots, Socks for Hiking, Mountaineering [CLICK HERE]Food, Water, Emergency Gear in the Day Hiking Backpack [CLICK HERE] I began the Mountaineering Fitness manual after getting hundreds of questions on my Facebook Pages. Questions about t…

Sweet Infected Inspirations

My character Emma, the protagonist, started out as one person and became another. It shows in the book as she evolves and transforms in so many ways from the opening butt-kicking scene to the final fight of the book. Then we get to see even more in the teaser for book 2.

I started out writing about her without really knowing her, and little clues and hints about her personality and appearance came to me as I slowly grew to know her bit by bit. I became her in spirit, since it's a first-person narrative. Every time I sat down to write I had to get into character to be sure to have the consistency necessary for a smooth plot flow.

I've mentioned a few times now that Anime was a major influence on my characters and their relationships. Every now and then I find an image on G+ that represents some small facet of Emma's character.

My reviewers think I did an excellent job. I hope you will too.




Her voice trailed off as she carefully reached out and touched the edge of my hair whe…

Review: Children of Atlas [science fiction]

Children of Atlas by Dustin Porta
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

To me it seemed very convoluted and disjointed. I started skimming ahead looking for something to like. The protagonist seemed likable enough to start, but soon the empathy failed and there turned out to be multiple protagonist lines and eventually I started hoping everyone would just die. Sorry about that.

I know several people out there like this kind of story, but I'm not one of them. Written well enough, just no characters to latch onto and get the feels for [for me anyway].

View all my reviews